Saturday, October 3, 2009

Enlightenment: The state of being enlightened.

I origninally wanted to title this entry with the definition for NAIVE, but after reading the unflattering Free Dictionary offering, decided to reconsider my current insights by choosing ENLIGHTENMENT instead! HA!!!!

NAIVE:
Lacking worldly experience and understanding, especially:
a.
Simple and guileless; artless: a child with a naive charm.
b. Unsuspecting or credulous.
2. Showing or characterized by a lack of sophistication and critical judgment.
3. One who is artless, credulous, or uncritical.

OUCH!

I wanted to dedicate this entry to my new sense of understanding which is evident to me now that I am in school again and how I cling to ideas and beliefs that have defined me over the past three decades.

I have not changed the core of those beliefs, but feel more day by day, the sandy ground upon which they have been built.

One of my students, a very well educated Swiss man, told me that as he watched the effects of globalisation and the current market trends, he could not help but think of the fall of the Roman Empire. He said, 'All great empires collapse. We are simply witnessing this one in the 21st Century!'

He was able to step back from his personal views to see the BIG picture. And that, my friends, is what I am doing now.

I feel,
Liberated: To set free, as from oppression, confinement, or foreign control.

The shifting of perception, however slight, and the effects of that shift, is what this experience is teaching me everyday. I would still be sitting in a little dark room had I not decided to go back to school.
Isn't this all ironic? Lost on me as a 19 year old girl, the fruits of study, added to the wealth of my life experience up to this point, have made me ripe for new ideas which challenge my idealogy and idealism. At the risk of showing my age, I say this: I am digging the sh*t out of this. Now I will take my California-bred colloquialisms and leave you.

Happy Saturday, all. me and Mart







No comments:

Post a Comment