Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cultural: Of, or relating to, a culture or civilisation

I am creating my degree plan.
What does that mean? It means that at ESC the student is expected to literally build their own degree, brick by brick, course by course, semester by semester.
It is a process so involved that you have to take a course to do it: Planning and Finalising Your Degree. I am researching what a Bachelor's is, figuring what classes I need to satisfy the general requirements, how many advanced classes to take
and how to create my Concentration, which is Spanish Language, Literature and Culture.

I have changed my B.A. from Educational Studies, to Cultural Studies.

At the end of the class, I will have constructed a Rationale Paper to present to a Committee for approval. During this voyage, my navigator is mentor Dana Henson, whom I lovingly refer to as, The Degree Fairy.

My fairy and I are forging new trails together, for my concentration in Spanish with be the very first, ever created at ESC. I have researched the Spanish language programs of several universities to come up with my own path of study which will include:
4 semesters of Spanish, Conversation, Composition, Advanced Phoenetics and Diction, Intro to Hispanic Literature, Spanish-American Lit, Methodology in Secondary Foreign Langauge Study and Cultural and Linguistic Diversity in the Classroom.

To complete my Bachelor's, I can choose from any of the SUNY university departments as well as guided independent study, the Centre for Distance Learning and the ESC curriculum. It is daunting and FUN. It is creative and extremely exciting.

Inevitably, I will have a Masters of Arts in Teaching and since I plan to work in New York, I also have to incorporate the studies necessary to best prepare myself for grad work and a Teacher's Credential for the State of New York.

This is my third semester at ESC and by August I will have 28 credits and hope to have maintained my 4.0 GPA.

So, that is what I've been doin'. Working. Studying. Building my degree. Having a ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment